Wednesday 21 October 2009

Clementine marmalade


This is my first foray into preserves and it was easy peasy.

You need 2lb of clementines (or you could use a mix of clementines and tangerines) which you wash, remove the stalks, cut in half and remove any pips. Then blitz them in the food processor, not completely smooth, but until the shreds of skin are small enough to make the marmalade to your liking.

Put it all in a large saucepan with a pint and a half of water and the juice of two lemons. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.

Add 1 kg of granulated sugar, stir and bring to a rolling boil. Stir regularly, keeping at this rolling boil until it has thickened and begun to get to setting point. This took about an hour for me.

Cool a little in the pan, then stir to make sure the bits are evenly mixed through and pour into sterilised jars.


11 comments:

  1. Your marmalade looks yummy! I love thick cut marmalade There is something wonderful in their golden pots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, it tasted good - I just had to spread some on a slice of freshly baked bread as I made the children's sarnies last night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this fantastic recipe. I thought my attempt at marmalade would end in disaster, but this was so easy and it turned out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. im going to try this one olater im trawling the internet for recipies at the mo for xmas pressies wish me luck !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the recipe its wonderful.

    this is the first time of making anything like this and it turned out great

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your feedback; glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I'm just wondering what you did about the pips

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first time I made it I had a batch of seedless clementines. Otherwise just cut your fruit in half to check for pips before shoving them in the food processor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made some today and my house smells amazing and all christmassy, and its Christmas day in 17 days.... Happy Christmas and thanks for some homemade pressies :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made a batch! I've never been a fan of marmalade, but I'm starting to change my mind! My batch set perfectly. (I reserved the seeds and put them in a cheese cloth and added them to the first stages, removing them before I added the sugar.) Waiting for my coffee to finish brewing, so I can enjoy some of my marmalade on a bagel with cream cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just made this as gifts for christmas and added a mulled wine spice bag in the first boiling process which has added to the amazing aroma. Great easy recipe for first timers!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.