Tuesday 29 September 2009

Bread pudding

 
I always bake my own bread, and hate to waste it! I've been making old fashioned bread pudding of late, and it is scrummy! It is especially nice warm with custard.
The recipe I use is mostly Delia's, but as I'm not good at weighing things properly or having things like fresh nutmeg lying about this cake is never quite the same every time.

Break up about 8oz dry bread, crusts removed.
Soak in about half a pint of milk for about 20 minutes.
Add 3oz sugar, 2 tsp mixed spice, 2oz melted butter, 1 beaten egg and mix with a fork until quite smooth.
Stir in some dried fruit (Delia says 6oz - I say as much as you like!)
Pour mixture into greased and lined loaf tin, sprinkle dried nutmeg on top.

Bake at 180 degrees C for about 75 minutes, until firm with a little bit of squidginess in the middle.

When cool sprinkle with a little sugar and eat with a nice cup of tea.

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.